How to use an anal douche in 10 easy steps
So…anal gets messy then?
Most newbies are worried about the potential mess that comes with anal sex. And yes, you and your partner will both have to get used to the idea that there is a chance you might see some poop, so talking or making jokes about it together might make you both feel a bit more comfortable and less shocked if you do spot some on the day.
There are also some good techniques to keep in mind if you want to reduce the risk, which is where anal douching comes in.
What is an anal douche?
An anal douche is a tool used to clear out any remnants from the rectum using low-pressure water. While it’s not a prerequisite for anal sex, it might make you feel more confident knowing you’re all clean down there, which will give you one less thing to worry about when you’re getting down and dirty (or not so dirty, hopefully).
Anal douching can be performed in either the shower or bath, with tools such as the Adam and Eve Anal Douche, which has a squeezable bulb that fills with warm water.
How to use an anal douche
- Get the right tools. Make sure you have the right tool for the job and start preparing between one and two hours before anal play is to start.
- Make sure whichever tool you’re using is clean. Before you start, thoroughly clean the toy using a toy cleaner, like the one mentioned above. You want a clean nozzle and douche to avoid the spread of bacteria, especially if using a reusable douche.
- Fill the douche with warm tap water, or saline water if you’re a frequent user. If the water is too hot, it will burn you; too cold and it will make you cramp.
- Insert a lubed finger into your anus. Lube everything before inserting anything. Starting with your finger helps you to relax.
- Insert the lubed nozzle of the anal douche, while breathing deeply in and out to release tension, then slowly insert the nozzle.
- Prepare yourself, breathe. Breathing is always the best way to relax, especially with something new.
- Squeeze the douche a few times. Give the douche bag a slow squeeze and hold inside your body for five seconds before releasing. You may need to very gently push.
- Repeat until water comes out clear. Keep going until the douche bag is empty. Don’t overdo it, as this could make things messier in the long run.
- Rinse off. Rinse thoroughly with warm water to make sure you and all your toys are clean.
- Enjoy! Now you are more than ready for your first session of anal play, without any nasty infections.
For best results, don’t douche too much, and clean a good amount of time before anal play is to begin. Douches, such as the Hueman Nebula Bulb Butt Douche, are great tools for clearing your back passage before anyone goes back there. Simply fill with water, insert into your anus, squeeze and then go to the toilet. Simple!
How to safely anal douche
Using an anal douche occasionally isn’t dangerous. However, more research into the safety of anal douching (and the different methods of anal douching) is needed. Some research has shown that douching too often (we’re talking every day) could potentially lead to negative long-term impacts, such as constipation and lengthening of the colon.
That being said, it can definitely be done safely. The safest method is to use a product designed specifically for anal douching and to follow the steps above. Use warm water or a saline solution and never use soap.
Anal douching alternatives
If you’re unsure about douching, or you want another method to add to your pre-anal prep routine, simply try a shower. Use plain water and your hands to clean around and inside your butthole.
If that doesn’t work, try altering your diet to keep your bowels in check. You might wish to add high-fibre foods to your diet to help you clear out your bowels for the big day. And while we don’t recommend fasting in the days leading up to the day, cut out things that could cause you a stomach upset, such as caffeine and spicy foods.
How long does it take to anal douche?
If it’s your first time douching, give yourself an hour or two to get the hang of it. While the process itself should only take 15 to 20 minutes, it can take some getting used to.
When done, it’s best to wait an additional 30 minutes to an hour (depending on how deep your douche) before anal sex. Water can get trapped in your bum, so give it some time to all come out.
How to clean an anal douche
Your douche should be cleaned after every single use. If you don’t clean it, it’s likely that your douche will start to grow bacteria, which you definitely don’t want inside your anus!
Use warm soapy water to clean your douche – push the water through the nozzle and inside the douche, slosh it around, and rinse it out. If you want a more thorough clean, pop it in the dishwasher (without your dishes of course) or use a toy cleaner.
It’s important to always dry your douche after cleaning it, as leaving it wet can lead to the growth of mould. Yuk.
Want more anal info?
Read our ultimate guide to anal play, or check out other articles about anal sex:
- How to Achieve an Anal Orgasm
- Best Anal Sex Positions
- Anal Sex for Beginners
- How to Prepare for Anal
- Anal FAQs
- Foreplay for Anal: A Guide
- The Best Way to Anal Train
- Solo Anal: A Guide to Pleasuring Yourself Anally
- What’s the Best Lube for Anal?
- What to do after Anal Sex